Pump Aid is preparing to deal with the potential impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in Malawi. The wellbeing of our staff and the communities we work with are foremost in our plans. We are following advice of government and health agencies.
Pumps Aid’s expertise is water, sanitation and hygiene, so our focus is supporting the communities we work with to ensure safe water and sanitation facilities are available for all and hygiene behaviours are promoted. HAND WASHING is vital in controlling the virus.
Rural communities in Malawi face multiple health challenges. There is a severe shortage of medical resources to treat and cure, so prevention is the key to defeating the virus.
Pump Aid is working with government and other NGOs to coordinate our efforts and make sure the impact of COVID-19 is minimised.
- Wet hands with running water
- Apply enough soap to cover wet hands
- Scrub all surfaces of the hands – including back of hands, between fingers and under nails – for at least 20 seconds. (enough time to sing two verses of ‘Happy birthday to you’)
- Rinse thoroughly with running water
- Dry hands with a clean cloth or single-use towel